Today my students wrote about a time they had faced a difficult or challenging situation. This lead into our team building activity, the "Cup Challenge". Setting up for the cup challenge was very simple. Before class, I tied four pieces of yarn to a rubber band, purchased plastic cups, and made index cards with the roles for each group member. The roles that I used were as follows: materials collector 1, starter, reporter, and materials collector 2. Materials collector 1 got the materials for the group, the starter put the cups in the starting position, the recorder shared with the class the difficulties and successes that the group experienced, and the materials 2 collector put the materials away. As the students entered the room, I gave each person a card, listing their role then I divided the students into groups of four making sure each role was represented. Then the students got to work! After getting the materials, the starter placed three cups upside down with one cup right side up on top of the previously placed cups. Then the students used their "tool" to rearrange the cups to make a pyramid with three cups on the bottom, two cups in the middle and one on top.
Most of the groups accomplished this task pretty quickly. As the groups finished I added cups to make the challenge more difficult. The next challenge I gave the students was to use the same concept to build a pyramid with four cups on the bottom, then three on the next level, then two, and finally one. If the group finished this task, I had them remove the cups from the pyramid, using only the "tool" and arrange them in the starting position.
As I walked around in one class, I overheard one student ask, "What does this have to do with language arts?' I used this as a "teachable moment" when we discussed the successes and challenges. I lead the students in a discussion about how this didn't tie to our standards or our curriculum, but that it did prepare them for future group work assignments, helped them get to know their classmates, and helped them learn ways to communicate with their classmates.
As the day progressed, some of the cups broke and some of the rubber bands popped. I was glad that I had extra cups and extra "tools". I also noticed that the larger rubber bands were extremely stretched as the day progressed. In the future, I will use smaller rubber bands in order to create the "tools."
The students were actively engaged and had a blast today! Days like today make my job the best ever!